Monday, April 05, 2004

Sometimes Normal is Best

Just when you think that winter is coming to a close, it comes back with a very forceful wind that made walking down the road feel more like drifting. But one thing that cheered me up was the daylight saving adjustments... a sign that summer is really just around the corner.

For those who have been following my ups and downs lately, this week has definately been an up for me. And it wasn't because of a very adventurous Saturday night. Although the job situation is sometimes frustrating, I figured I am really here to have fun, and fun I will have. Being overseas, it's like everytime I go out, it's to a club, or a lounge, or something touristy, coz thats what you do when you're overseas... which is all good, but sometimes, you just want to be able to walk around the shops with a friend, chat over coffee or kid around over dinner. Sunday was a bit like that. I went shoe shopping with a friend and afterwards we met up with some other people for dinner. Usually back in Sydney I would get really annoyed when everyone is indecisive about dinner, and phone calls are going left, right and centre with no hope of settling on a place. But for once, I felt comforted because it reminded me of the group dynamics back home.

And dinner was just like that too, we had people kidding and paying each other out, we had serious conversations, slack conversations, in jokes, mentions of stupid things people have done in the past etc etc... just like home. I brought Bill to dinner, and he even said that meeting all these people and having a typical friendly dinner made him miss home a lot.

I've met a lot of people on this trip, and some of them very interesting. But a lot of the times, it's a strain to meet people. It's exhausting trying to make conversation, and find some common ground. It is so much more difficult with different ages, social backgrounds and interests. I know I craved for all these differences back at home when I was bored of meeting just like minded industry professionals (aka, yuppies), but since I am out of my comfort zone of home, this I guess is the closest thing I have.

No comments: