Tuesday, April 13, 2004

One year ago today...

I never was much of a gambler - I valued my money too much to think I would be forgoing a new piece of clothing of a swish dinner was enough to restrain me. Plus I was scarred when I lost $1 at the slot machine in first year uni. But as I stood amongst the gawdy flashes of light and the sound of coins being cashed at the machines, I thought about it - I think I have risked bigger things in life. Hey, I did leave a stable job, family and friends to move to a foreign country, live with strangers and have no money. So I shrugged and decided to take the plunge... I gambled $5.

Alright, so that was spare change, but hey, I'm only a telemarketer! I profited $15 though, so I'm a lot less bitter about that $1 I lost 7 years ago. My friend was a lucky boy though, he walked away with his pockets $300 heavier. Poor thing, he didn't even get to shout us dessert since everything was closed at 3am!

So my Good Friday was spent at the Casino. It was one of those impulsive roadtrips decided late at night after some bored deliberation to drive an hour away to Niagra Falls for gamble. Almost (but not quite) as impulsive as driving to Penrith for donuts or The Entrance for Fish & Chips. I also got to see the Falls at night, pity the lights weren't on else it would have made a pretty picture. But from what I could make out in the dark, it wasn't as spectacular as what I last remembered.

On the weekend I also did a very Canadian thing... I sat in a pub, with chicken wings (which are very popular here), a Canadian Beer and watched a hockey game. In good tradition, the guys watched the game and I lost interest and just disrupted them by yapping away.

We also had the most amazing weather over the weekend, it was possible to go out without a jacket. A friend drove me to a park and we took advantage of the sun with a long walk, the only bad thing was the trees were still very stark, should pretty when the leaves come out though.

So that was my Easter. Hard to image this very same weekend one year ago, I was sitting in the Vatican City, attending Mass held by The Pope. One year later, I am gambling and drinking... hmmm... The Pope should be so proud.

No comments: