Friday, June 25, 2004

Rubbing shoulders on Broadway

Besides the absence of the World Trade Centre from the skyline, New York City has not changed much since my last visit 4 years ago. The gawdy yet exciting flashes of neon light on 42nd Street, the 101 different tacky tourist attractions, the dirty gum stained sidewalks, the stuffy subway system which is the sole source of the city's confusion, and the millions and millions of people you have to rub shoulders with. But having said that, it is an exciting city... there are plenty of opportunities to observe the quirky characters, and to give yourself an ego boost... there are other people out there who are much larger... bodysize-wise than you. And there are plenty of places to explore provided your feet will hold you up.

Meeting up with Adrian was good too... haven't seen that boy for so long... didn't realise I missed paying him out so much! He's my sugardaddy for the week, he was reluctant at first, but then I told him this was the only chance he had in being anyones sugardaddy, and he relented.. ha! so easy! The only thing was, the hotel he was staying in for work is miles and miles away from Manhatten... methinks it's the equivalent of Penrith to Sydney. And the commute to NYC and back takes me at least an hour one way (more than my commute from West Penno to the city!), and US$36 a day! So there was one day I just stayed in the 5-star hotel and did absolutely nothing but bum... which was much needed, I must say. Whilst Adrian was working, I spent my time exploring different areas if town. The Gugenhiem Museum was the only touristy thing I did really, and I watched a Broadway musical - Fame which was absolutely fantastic! Other than that, just a lot of milling on my own. I finished off my trip with a visit to the Ground Zero site... I was expecting a nice memorial, photos and flowers, but it was only a large construction zone where the World Trade Center used to be, and a few scaffolded buildings... I guess it means that they are on their way to development.

Methinks this will be my last visit to the U.S.... it just doesn't do it for me. But then again, whats the bet that I'll be back again?

No comments: