Tuesday, May 25, 2004

An Up-Lifting Experience

It all started with Venna wanting to go to the toilet (sorry, "washrooms" in Canadian linguo)... and making the big mistake of announcing it to a bunch of drunken idiots, thus stemming the urge for them to see the pain and suffering of someone desperately trying to hold her bladder in...

Lesson #1 - Friends are never friends when your bladder needs them to be
Lesson #2 - Elevators can think too, when there is six people in the lift and 18 floors is pressed, it will know it is being screwed over, and will refuse to budge.

... and that is how we found ourselves trapped not quite on Level 11... the boys were trying to prove to Venna that the elevator was not at all slow, and that she will still make it to my bathroom even if we go all-stops. I think we were only stuck there for 5-10 minutes (? bit of a blur).. but it definately felt a lot longer... for Venna anyways.

Venna was cursing us and holding her stomach (as if that would keep it in!)... Jee who is cool, calm and collected as usual (she wasn't sick until the next morning... talk about delayed reaction!)... Matt and Gord on the floor, the bouncing movement of the indecisive lift did not go well with the alcohol in their bodies... Bill was on the emergency phone with the lift operators who subsequently hung up on us because they didn't understand Bill when he told them we were stuck in a lift... "What's a lift?"... stupid Canadians... as if you wouldn't know that a lift was an elevator! And there was me, sitting on the floor fretting over the important things in life... "Shit, how am I ever going to show my face in the building again... security is going to hate me when he sees we pressed all the floors!"...

But it's all good... the lift operator finally made the connection (*ding* lift = elevator) and released the lift (ooops... elevator). Venna made it to the bathroom. Gord also made it to the bathroom. Matt was not so lucky, he only made it as far as my kitchen sink... anything that went up and out of him did not go down my sink as smoothly.. we made a new purchase for the household the next day... a plunger!

But all in all, it was a very good night... Matt's last weekend in town, and Venna and Jee's first weekend in rainy Canada! The rest of the weekend was a bit of a write-off, we just slept, ate, watched videos and drove around town so that the girls can check out all the ethnic areas and what Canadians call "beaches" here. I'll repeat, nothing beats an Aussie beach! Sadly, we also saw Matt off... the end of another Canadian adventure! =(

We did go to a beach called The Bluffers (?), it was rather exciting as when I got there, I recognised it as a place that I visited 4 years ago when I travelled with the boys. Only this time, I get to see it all green, as opposed to being snow covered. It brought back a lot of memories of the snow fights and the pranks, which I have video and photographic footage of. The last time I was there, it was right before going to the airport, and just our luck.. the car broke down and we had to hitch a ride to the main road so that we could pick up our luggage and make our plane. Thank god this time round, my next flight is not until a good few months away!!

No comments: