Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Making Conversation

Don't you just hate it when you're on the streets and you see someone you know passing by, so you do the friendly thing and call out to them. Whether they are short on hearing, or they are pretending not to hear you (but we all know that could never be the case)... isn't it absolutely frustrating when they don't answer??? So you persist, because now you look stupid to the people around you and you wouldn't want that. So you call again, and then in final desperation, you run after them and hit them on the shoulder. That way, everyone around you doesn't think you're stupid (or so you hope).

And whats with those people who don't pull weight in a conversation? You know, the one word answers that kill the conversation... whether it is in the lack of communication skills or the fact they are hoping if they ignore you long enough, you'll go away. Anyways, Bill and I was bitching about it one sleepless night, and the next day, rather appropriately, we met the most helpful cab driver in the world...

Me: So I hear there are good resturants in Little Italy. Where would you recommend??
Cabbie: ...yeah...
Me: I mean, are there any good resturants there??
Cabbie: ... yeah...
Me: ... errr... so which ones?
Cabbie: ...oh... well... there is... (rarara... mumbles a few resturants.. didn't really understand a word he said)
Me: *rolls my eyes in silent frustration*

Five minutes later, determination hits again...
Me: So we're in Little Italy already. Where's the most happening part?
Cabbie: ... yeah...
Me: Is this the most happening part?
Cabbie: ... yeah...
Me: Is there more down there? *pointing ahead*
Cabbie: ... yeah...
Me: Is it good down there?
Cabbie: ... yeah...

*sigh* I rest my case

Sorta reminds me of this guy who was trying to pick me up at a bar one time. He kept asking me questions which I answered politely (...yeah... nah...), but I didn't make an effort to return questions. In the end the poor guy tapped me on the shoulder and said..
... "You don't really want to make conversation, do you?"
... *shrug* "I'm happy just sitting and chilling"
... *humph* "Well I'm going to find someone who does!"

I guess if you dish it, you gotta hack it!

No comments: