Monday, October 29, 2007

When we were twelve...

I have done nothing but eat and drink in the last few days, and my muffin top is a testament to this (the race isn't over yet, chisin!).

Unplanned Sydney-sider sightings (USSS) have now increased, with an +1 to Sighting B (Jean), and now a Sighting C, good old Kiat from back in the uni days. He was passing our yum cha table - I haven't seen this guy in years, but knew through the grapevine he had made the move to London. I know, I shouldn't be so surprised, but it gets me every time.

Speaking of hooking up with people from the past, I'm liking Facebook more and more these days. Although I say I have no interest in going to my high school reunion, because after all, you keep in touch with the ones that matter... I could not hide my excitement when I came across a stack of people from my primary school years. I am currently chatting to one of my closest friends from probably the most important developmental years of my life (when I used to hate school holidays and lie awake in excitement the night before a new term starts... I've gained a life since then...).

Primary school was never about sitting in lessons and taking tests. It was about little lunches and big lunches, about what show and tell to share and friends to hang out with. It's when you're allowed to be naive and naivety is just a lesson, never a loss. It's where our personalities start to shape, but not entirely defined - you really can't tell how someone will turn out by age 12 (look at how fine this shy class-dag with the bowl hair cut turned out!).

I guess that's why I'm so intrigued with my primary school pals. Especially since my recent trip to Croatia made me want to track down my 'best friend' from when I was 5 years old. Dear Ana was from Croatia and raved on about it all the time. Each time I went to a new Croatian town, I would wonder if she was from there and wished I had only asked.

I'm beginning to change my tune about not caring for people that I have lost touch with. I used to think it was a choice that was made, even if it was circumstantial by way of laziness. How could I be so wrong?

1 comment:

millimilli said...

don't you worry, rarara, we've still got til sept08! and you know what i'm like... any ground i've gained will be lost over the christmas/new year drinking fest :)

but you keep on eatin' dem muffins. I hear they make your nails strong and your hair shiny!