Thursday, October 25, 2007

The different faces of Croatia

Zagreb is not only capital of Croatia, party central, but the city is a big cafe itself. Everywhere you turn, there are cafes with outdoor seating, pretty people decked out in the latest European fashion, beer or coffee in one hand and cigarette in another. I felt rather unglamorous in comparison.

My next stop was at Plitvice Lakes National Park - a wonderland where lakes spill into each other creating cascades of waterfalls at every corner. If you don't know, I love waterfalls... and I saw hundreds in one day embedded into a kaleidescope of yellows, oranges, greens and browns from the Autumn leaves. I can only imagine what the park would be like on a clear and sunny day and had my fingers crossed for the next day. The bright light shining through the crack in the curtain in the morning was promising, but when I threw open the blinds, the patchwork of colours was replaced with a thick blanket of white snow. Apparently it didn't even snow last year, and when it does, it is usually in December.






Although it ruined my plans to see the rest of the lakes, it was sort of a pleasant surprise to see the first snowfall, and gave me an excuse to stay in the hotel room I splurged on, equivalent to 4 nights stay in a hostel! Keen to make the most of it, I spread my toiletries out on the spanking clean ensuite bathroom, took two long hot showers... long enough to make me panic that I had caused the momentary blackout in the hotel midway through one of these guilty pleasures. But the lights went on again, and I turned the hot water up some more.

The rest of my trip in the small coastal town on Zadar was less eventful... I was excited to travel on my own for a bit, perhaps it's the whole thought of being independent, or maybe it seems more an adventure... but when you are in a small town with all too much time, I missed having someone there to chat and kill idle time with. I guess, journeys are better shared with someone.

No comments: