Technical Difficulties
I never would have thought I'd say -10 degrees was warm and be relieved when it hit 0 degrees! Besides the turn in temperatures, it has also snowed a little, getting everyone excited with the new powder to play in.
Since it has become a little more quiet, I ahve been training on the tech benches as a "tech guy". Haha, imagine little old me who hates technical stuff and knows nothing about skiing or boarding, recommending, sizing and adjusting equipment. I even have to sign the box that reads "technician's signature" just to assure the customers safety! At first it was rather embarrassing as I didn't even have the strength to push down the realease lever on the skiis after adjusting the DIN. Times like this, there is nothing better that turning on your charm and acting the poor girl whose lost all energy after doing a million skiis! Since then I have gained a bit of muscles, but the other day I had to ask a fellow workmate to tech me how to reverse the direction of the simple electric drill! Geez, who said anything about wanting to be a technician, I'm only here to check out the cute snowboarders!!
I can't say that I love my job, it is afterall not very challenging and very manual (speaking from someone whose first job was payroll and who was paid 5 months to surf the internet and stay home before leaving Australia). There was one point in time where I had band-aids on 7 of my 10 fingers! When I showed Teoh, hoping to get some sympathy from him, he looked at it and said "put that away, thats ugly"! *humph*
Anyways, the best part of the job is chatting to the customers. Generally they are all pretty cool, but very curious. The most asked questions in rentals has nothing to do with the sport or the equipment, it:
customers: "is this whole resort just run by aussies??"
or I always get:
customers: *gasp* oh, this is *so* deceiving, an asian face with an aussie accent!!"
me: *rolls eyes"
or:
customers: "where does your cute accent come from? you don't sound aussie like everyone else?"
me: "oh, dun i?" (didn't mean to put on the accent, but it just comes through when I say this innocently!)
customers: "hmm.. maybe I'll take that back!"
Ofcourse there are obnoxious customers. Oe lady came in, demanded that I take her shoes off for her, and trotted out without even a thank you! But then there are those that brings a smile to me face, the excited kids and the over energetic grandparent figures.. young and old alike! Some customers that are around for a week or so treat you like a friend.. there was this one young english couple who I had help extensively coz of their troubled feet, they were so cool and the guy was so hot.. pity I liked the girl just as much though!! Anyways, thats not it, the moral is... if one little small and effortless gesture like a smile or happy chatter can light up someones day, go for it!!
Wednesday, January 07, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment