Monday, January 05, 2004

Brrr...

The last week has been a bit of a blur. It has gone frm a crazy X'mas and NYs rush at work when I go from worked 9 days straight to having 3 days off, and where the temperature goes from a warm -10 degrees to an unbearable -40 degrees (thanks to those who sms and email me the weather forecast back home. The conversion for me is adding the "-" at the front!!!).

NYE this year was certainly different. instead of being a drunken mess with my friends back home, I had the Australian count down over the phone and in the warmth my bed at 6am in the morning. 18 hours later, we had the Banff countdown in the basement of a club with my work friends. It was good whilst it lasted, but lets just say NY day for most of us was a complete write off and we were not all too sympathetic to those who complained about rental boot sizes or who had been waiting in line too long because of our inefficiency. The aftermath of NYE in Banff can still be seen on the streets... I am particularly careful when walking down Banff Ave... nothing worse than slipping on a pile of frozen vomit!!


But I have had 3 days break after working way too long without a break. Unfortunately for me though, it hasn't snowed for the last two weeks and there has been an extremely cold front moving through. I don't think I have ever been in -ve degree temperature before so -40 degrees is a really painful experience. The other day I went snowshoeing with Ada. Snowshoes are thes wide flat panels with a pivot attachment that disperses your weight so that you can walk on snow without sinking down into it. Anyways, we did a trek to Lake Vista and actually snowshoed on the frozen lake which I normally would have been estatic about if it weren't for the weather. My fingers and feet felt like daggers were pushed into them and could snap off any second. I was in so much pain I couldn't even press the camera button to take a photo for Ada. Ada had small icicles hanging from her eye-lashes and the hair exposed under my beanie (oops.. sorry.. it's "touque" here!) was white. On the way back I was in so much pain from the frozen tips and from breathing the dry air that I had doubts as to whether I'd make it back to the car! same thing yesterdat when I went to meet Ada and Matt at the frozen Lake Louise. I had always wanted to ice-skate in a frozen lake, but I was willing to pass on it if it meant keeping my fingers and toes!

The lasck of snowfall meant that riding conditions are very bad. Undeterred, I attempted a lesson on my day off despite it being -35 degrees.. too cold for the chair lifts to run. So here I was, trekking up the bunny hill trying to board on goofey coz I was feeling weird on natural. I did so bad that I quit the lesson, ran inside and swore never to ride again! it took quite a bit of motivation for me to brave the cold and the sticky, packed snow and hop on my board again. But I did so much better after converting back to natural and practising a few times. I didn't even mnind not feeling my toes for a while. My tailbone is still playing up though, so I am trying to be really cautious.

The holday rush has stooppped now, so back to bludgey rentals where we sit around a chat, have competitions who can jump the furthest from the tech benches and serve the occassional customer here and there. We also get scheduled ride breaks as well which is good for me to practise out there. My workmates are still very cool people and I have started to get to know them a bit more although there is still a bit of culture barrier there. It's really nice to go up to the Sitzmark Lounge and bum around after work as we watch the light disappearing behind the mountains. I still am not a fan of beer though!! being out has it's good times and it's bad times... I am planning to leave by the end of Feb after I take advantage of the free boarding and skiing lessons. The weather is getting a bit too much and I think I am still a city girl at heart.

Anyways, was hoping to upload photos from X'mas and NYs as well as photos of my apartment. But since I couldn't get the comp with a card reader, it's going to have to wait. I've added an extra line to the photo links so you guys know when I last uploaded shots, keep checking coz I'm trying to make it regular.

No comments: