Out of sling... at last!!
Today is a happy day. I finally made the six week mark and my physio has allowed me out of the sling, yah!
Anyways, I'm here hanging out at the library again. I tend to do that for a few hours each day, unemployed bums like me like to make use of free facilities. After my library session, I usually go to the internet cafe to do some word processing and submit my resume. Not that it works, no one has called me back yet... it seems like all my effort is going into a big black hole sometimes.
This week's hit list is all the major banks. Seems like there is some work there, not sure if any of it is for me though. Yesterday, I thought I'd amuse myself by applying for an air hostess role. I was so proud of the wonderful piece of creative writing that twists my short-lived customer service experience, and non-relevant consulting experience in what I thought was a quite convincing submission. How hilarious would it be if I got it. Then I really do get to travel around Canada for free! But in reality, I think I need to be a Canadian Citizen to get it.. ah well, the thought was good for amusement value anyways.
After two shifts, I decided to quit the telemarketing job I was at last week. It was a dodgey environment, and I was selling a tabloid.. which most of the peopel I rung thought was a bit of a joke. I have moved up in the world though, this weekend I am starting with The Globe & Mail... a much more respected newspaper. I actually went to two interviews and had to read a script to get this job. The other one put me on the phone without even giving me an interview!
I am still waiting for a call from Roots (cool Canadian clothing brand). I went shopping there last weekend and got chatted up by one of the sales girls (Matt W - Sorry, I went against your advice and spoke to strangers. But if it makes you feel better, I did what you asked for and mentioned you in my blogg =P ). Turns out she is from Sydney too... well Mount Druitt anyways... I told her to stop telling people she is from Sydney. She convinced me to hand in an application there, and we also went out with drinks the other night. We went from a really nice chillout loungy place to an underground bikie joint. Wasn't really out scene... plus the people we met there was weird... they kept pissing themselves over the concept of Working Holidays. What's so funny about that?? *confused*
On the way home, we found a quaint little doorway that had a dim alleyway behind it which nice fairlights and funky decor at the end. Having nothing to lose, we went in.. through the drapes and invited ourselves into really chic bar. A bit too chic actually... seemed very designer, and too immaculate to even touch... but we christened the place with our street clothes and had a glass of port each. Looks like a celebrity-type place.. they even had soft drapes around each individual dining table! It must have been really exclusive, coz we couldn't even find a sign or a name to the place. It was only when I was flipping through a design magazine that I found the name by chance - The Ultra Supper Club. Hmm.. don't think I will be going anytime soon.
Anyways, since there is nothing on the job boards, methinks I will go back to my apartment and sit next to the huge window with my book. I was there for an hour or two this morning, and since the window pane made the sun so strong, I was enjoying a nice sun tan in my shorts this morning. I miss the Sydney summer, but the weather here is looking promising though... we're slowly moving out of the negative degrees!
Thursday, February 26, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment