Still on the Hunt
I don't have much of an update really. I am quite domestic these days, although we went out to a club last week, my weekdays are mostly cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, internet surfing and reading. Sometimes when I am feeling generous, I lounge around a coffee shop with a book or my journal. I'm quite happy at the moment, only coz I know I have a lot of time to explore the place... in a few months time when my time is running out and the weather gets warmer, I think I will be going crazy!
Anyways, on the job front... my potential career as an air hostess never took off. I'm not a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant. The funny thing was, when I was standing in line for an interview.. I asked the pretty asian chick next to me for a pen, and she recognised me as a customer she served a few weeks ago. It must have been the good old accent!!
So we were talking and she asked whether I was interested in retail. She works in Danier Leather, a canadian chain leather store that has some good stuff. I'm still eyeing the leather jacket I tried on the last time I met her, so when she mentioned they were hiring, I jumped at the chance. How funny is that, I missed out on being a flight attendant but ran into another job opportunity at the interview. My advice to umployed bums out there... if you are desperate for a job, don't apply to firms and recruitment agencies, they don't reply.. just go shop... shop your heart out and work that accent if u have one!!
So much for coming across a job... the next day I visited the girl at Danier and after what I thought was a pretty comprehensive interview for a retail position, she sat me down for a written test. I was there for an hour, answer problems, sorting out patterns etc. I was so not expecting it, and entirely exhausted when she told me I had another video test to go through!! I couldn't do it the same day... I already knew I failed the previous test, they asked such obscure questions and the multiple choice answers were all so similar. But I returned the next day and sat through another test. I have to say, all the testing for a job selling jackets was all a bit of a turn-off... I think I had a better time applying for graduate positions in Big 5 firms!
Meanwhile, I have started working at this other telemarketig place. This is so much better than the other place I was at... but still, it's against my nature to be pushy, and I was told last night to be more bold. In the 25 hours I have worked though, I managed to sell 3 subscriptions. Wow! Not. I sold one of them purely because the doctor on the other end liked my accent, even though he thought the paper was to right-wing orientated. As I said, if you have an accent, work it!
The people here are a lot less odd here, most of them are students though. One of the guys I sit with always has a funny story or two to share. He seems to get all the interesting calls... one woman thought he was her dead husand.... "Jonathan, is that really you?? My dea, it's you, it's you!!". Hmm.. I haven't come across any calls like that yet... although I did get an answering machine that belonged to some cult, and the machine message was a bitof a preach. I'm glad it was only a machine.
So thats the joys of job hunting and telemarketing.
Thursday, March 04, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment