Getting Used to Rejections...
Why do people get annoyed when you give them a nice friendly call. Perhaps offer them a deal of a lifetime? I know everytime my phone rings, my first exclamation is "I feel loved!". Unfortunately, angry mothers who have had their kids woken up, pissey men who like to exert their power over the little disconnect lever on the phone, and little old women who enjoys making conversation with strangers who call to sell newspapers (the type that needs telemarketing coz no-one will buy it from the shelf) are the pleasant people that I have to deal with.
Job hunting as you can see is going slow... but then again, I have only been here for two weeks, so I guess I should be patient. So meanwhile, instead of twiddling my fingers, I am in the internet cafe by day looking for proper work, and at a call centre by night.. just for something to do and to pay off a fraction of my rent. Telemarketing really sucks, the boss is the big fat slobish type who barks at everyone and does nothing himself. His friend is just as unsightly as he is with the added greasy smile... he smiled at me from the office the other night. When I went into the ladies, someone had vomited in the sink... I guess I wasn't the only one he smiled at! Since I just found out that retail is better paid than what I'm getting in telemarketing (plus I have to travel to the suburbs... which is devastating for a central downtown chick... gone are the days of one hour drives from the hills to the city.. woohoo!)... so I am thinking of applying for that instead and working evenings and job hunt during the day. The places I am thinking of applying for seem like really cool places, so I am actually looking forward to it!
Speaking of retail.. my god, shopping here is so good... which is not so good for someone who is virtually unemployed! They're having their big sale here atm, and I must say this is a pretty trendy city! Everyone is very well dressed, and I have my eye on so many items already!!!
Toronto has worked out to be much better than I thought. My only incentive for coming here was the ease of finding work in a big city... but it's more then just that... it's arty, cultured, trendy and very happening. I really hoping I can find good work here because I want to be able to make the most of it all. I have been fortunate to know one or two people here and they have been great. The roll of Friday night drinks has started for me again, I didn't realise how much I had missed it!! Last Friday I went outwith Bill's collegues... they seem pretty similar to the type of people I call friends back home (you know I love you all!) so that was cool. I went to meet them at a bar called Biermarket... from how it is pronounced (beermarket) I was expecting some old pub with slabs of wood, not much class but a comfy atmosphere. I rocked up and it turned out to be a pretty classey establishment... infact, all the places I've been to here have a atmosphere and decor like the Establishment, or Arthouse in Sydney. Just the past Friday, I had a girls night out with a friend and 5 of her very wild friends... let's just say I was in awe and amazement... for the boys back home... I heard about your new years resolution... so good luck... but I must say, these chicks def have more balls!!! But I will def revisit this statement at the end of the year. So needless to say, I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of fun on Friday.
We went to this place called Schmooze which had a line-up from 5pm onwards. Not surprisingly so since all the drinks were $1.50 from 4pm - 9pm!!! Like before, this $1.50 sounds like a dingey back alley pub.. but after dealing with contacts and guestlists to get in, we were opened up to a swish bar where scenes from "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" was shot. Fancy that! Thats not my point though... the point is, this place won my most quirky toilet award. The washbasins were unsex... weird? Not really. But when you hit the ladies cubicles, you realise that all the teeth picking, vanity stroking and self-loving gazes that people have in the mirror during their hand washing moments is actually into a two way mirror, and some poor woman on the other side has to put up with it whilst she does her thing. Well actually, they are probably giggling like the girls in the next cubicles, making faces and rude gestures... or if they are lucky, staring into the eyes of some unsuspecting, but very good looking guy. Then when they are done with the procrastinating, they are faced with the challenge of doing their thing without feeling concious that someone is looking at your bare backside. So it works out that a visit to the toilet is just as entertaining as hanging out at the bar... and it adds to the bar conversation after!
I've also been to a few clubs since hitting Toronto, and they have been surprisingly fun! After a big night Friday, we went and hung out at a Jazz bar instead with Bill's cousin and a few of her friends which was fine by me... I had a good time just chilling.
Anyways, thats the update from Toronto for now
Monday, February 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment