At the moment this city is packed with celebrities and parties as the Toronto Film Festival is at play. I never was one to make a big deal about celebrities, partly because I refuse to give them the attention that so many fans unconditionally smother them with.
But when just a stroll home opens an opportunity for a prime position right next to a red carpet at a large broadcasted celebrity party, my pride was tempted with the story I could publish on this very blog. So I sacrificed myself for you guys, and agreed to stand in an exclusive area right next to the red carpet.. with the catch being that I stay there for at least 20 mins.
So I find myself right at the barrier, within grabbing distance of any celebrity that may stroll up the red carpet. My mind was spinning with possibilities of exciting news that could lift my blog from the boring updates I have been posting lately. But the only celebrity I saw as an old dude that was meant to be a local newsreader (so someone explained)... and whoever was being interviewed on the big screen at that time. Not only was I jipped of celebrity sitings, everytime a stupid camera rolled by, I was instructed to scream and cheer so that I can be broadcasted live on TV like another one of "those" fans who have nothing better to do with their time than stalk celebrities.
Speaking of stalking, I cannot for the life of me pronounce it with a Canadian accent... or with any accent that these Canadians can understand anyways. It usually takes me an average of 5 repeats before some understands me!!!
Anyways, a little more exciting was the World Cup Hockey Semi-Finals that I went to watch between Canada and the Czech Republic. Appropriate since I am in Canada and will be visiting the Czech in the next 3 weeks. Tickets were so difficult to find and probably sold out a year ago... but lucky us, we were given free tickets by a patient of Gord's. So I got to experience the ultimate Canadian experience... sitting in the ACC, watching an World Cup Game of the nation's most followed sport. It was a really close and exciting game... where Canada won in overtime. I did well in terms of not embarrassing Gord with my clueless cheers... he made me memorise key players and their numbers.. he got excited when I practised my cheering when lead-up games were covered on TV, but was horrified when I yelled "yah, we won a point!"... I was promptly corrected... how was I to know that you "score goals" in hockey and not "win points"?? But I think I did good at the actual game, I even got a bit of the flag waving action going... and the fact that it was a home game meant that I was always safe in cheering when the rest of the stadium was cheering!
The victory spilled onto the streets of the city where people celebrated by jamming the streets, honking horns and high-fiving anyone you came across. This lasted for at least 3 hours!
Anyways, lotsa of excitement, but this week has also brought the realisation that I will be in fact leaving in 2 weeks which dampens the mood a bit!
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment