Thursday, May 28, 2009

On the market

So why the sudden outburst of blog posts, you ask...

It's week 2 of unemployment, and blogging makes me feel like I'm working. And it's a good distraction from the not so fun job hunting.

It's been more of a holiday, as the initial weeks usually are. I've been trying to be constructive with my time which was going very well until this week where I allowed myself to indulge in lounging-around-in-pjs sort of behavior.

So far, I have been exercising every single day (bar yesterday, and possibly today). I've even started swimming... I bought a skipping rope with weights on the handle, which is very cool. And I tried the running thing, but nah, I'm not a runner. Squash is still a weekly activity, and I sampled a boot camp which highlighted how badly I need to wake my abs up.

I even have a TASK LIST. Every time I think of something that needs to be completed, from housework, to admin, to researching, or calling home.. I whack it on my list. Helps me stay focused. My list is going strong, for every item I tick off, there's always more to add. I'm scrubbing the bath tub today. And packing for the weekend in Montreal. Perhaps I will get around to picking up my library book. See, I'm feeling constructive already, thinking about all this.

All in all, it's been good so far, no complaints yet. Except for the fact that I have not heard a peep from any of the resumes that I have submitted.

I did meet a recruiter yesterday though, and he seems promising, even if the market doesn't. This guy called me consistently throughout last year, but my contract always got extended. So now that I need work, I finally get to meet him. He's prob one of the best recruiters I've met so far (although I do reserve the judgment till he gets me a job).
- First up, he gave me an agenda - never have I been given a meeting agenda by a recruiter.
- He gave me history on the company.
- He asked me for my interests and preferences. Where I want to go in life. It's unbelievable the number of recruiters who do not even ask if you are interested in a job - they just assume they are a god-send for calling, and you want to lick up everything they dish out at you.
- He seems to know the difference between various types of BAs, and didn't lump us in the same pool, which is very refreshing. So many recruiters try to whack me in a Reporting BA role, or a System BA role... when I tell them I'm a Process BA. They clearly don't understand that the role of a BA is as clear as mud, as is the role of a Consultant.
- He appreciates the significance of the projects I've worked on, even when I didn't play it up. This is when I know that they actually understand the project environment and complexities.
- And he gave me some fantastic tips for turning an interview around. I think I do ok at interviews (except the time I had an argument with a KPMG Director), but he had some great tips that I am keen to try out next time. I'll let you know if it works.

The only negative is that, after 2 hours of talking, he doesn't have any opportunities for me just yet! He seems keen to place me though, so we'll see.

So anyways, if you haven't noticed yet, being unemployed and alone most of the day makes me very talkative. Just be thankful you're not on the other side of the phone coz I was able to call you at whim!

No comments: