Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Stung by the Travel Bug

I like to think that I am a traveller and I was - until today.I spent the last few days in Prague.. one of the most romantic cities in the world, so they say.. but it didn't really do it for me. There was a few nice building, but everything else was as touristy as it can get.. which worked out well since I spent most my time pushing and shoving threw the tourists. Okays, so it wasn't that bad, but when I travel, I find that I like to keep away from the busy city areas. Atm I am in Cesky Krumlov, a small and quaint medieval town three hours outside of Prague... It is tiny, and almost boring.. we sussed out the whole place in half a day, but it has also provided me a bit of a breather since I ahve left Toronto and London. Christina and I have been doing a lot of picnics by the river.. the weather has been gorgeous for that, and doing a lot of chilling in resturants and cafes, and I have also started ready again. A break like this is always nice.

In a way, I feel like I am getting a bit sick of travelling though. I hoep thsi is onyl a temporary thing, as there are so many more places I'd like to visit... at the moment I am sick of packing everyday, staying at dodgey hotels (Christina encountered a bad case of bed bugs in Prague, luckily I managed to escape,but my fingers are kept bsy with all the mozzie bites I've had!)... I guess I am in transition stage from leaving a home I have made in TO, to getting back to my home in Sydney.

Prior to the Czech Republic, I also spent a few days in London. London is really Sydney. I met up with a few friends from Sydney, and met all their friends, also from Sydney. Our coversations revolve around where we lives and who we knew in Sydney, how great Sydney is, and how everyone wants to stay in London (???). It was nice seeing so many old friends again, but admitedly, I was a bit daunted by it all. Firstly, the Aussie accent has never been so apparent to me as now, it was so surreal, speaking with a bunch of Aussies in the same twang. Secondly I have been so far removed from the IT/Consulting world it was weird to once again hear about it all... and last of all, the whole drinking/clubbing culture... which I feel I am being drawn back into after a nice long break away. It's almost as if I've hit Sydney prematurely in London, and I'm technically still on my one year break!

I can't help wondering how different I would have been going to London rather than Canada. Would I have changed? Or more interesting, have I changed?? At the moment I am thinking that Canada has done me a world of good!

Anyways, would love to hear it from someone who has gone away and returned home again.

I don't know what I am more afraid of... going home and finding everything has changed, or going home and finding nothing has changed.

No comments: