Monday, June 08, 2009

Violated

What annoys me more than people trying to rip me off, is when I actually fall for it. I let my guard down, question my initial judgment, take a leap of faith, and say.. "here, take my money".

So where on G's PC yesterday, trying to sort out a million things. And this dang pop-up keeps popping up about some virus and compromised system. We have one of those freebie anti-virus programs, and it has worked well so far, but so many pop-ups made us a little worried. So G downloaded the free scanner indicated by the pop-up, and it detected a number of nasty un-friendlies on the system. For $69.95 USD, you get a years subscription to this advance security software, and for a bargain price of $89.95 USD, you get a lifetime subscription. The Asian in us got the better of us.

Mind you, I did do a quick scan of the product details, the site look legit, there were testimonials from PC World, Australian PC User, and it was even rated by Microsoft. Must be authentic.

Our saving grace was that I wanted to pay for it for tax deduction purposes, and when prompted to pay, decided to use my Paypal account. Very well so, since my receipt showed that the payment went to an individual named Aaron, with an email address totally unrelated to the product. A little wary, I finally did what I should have done before handing over the dosh - I Googled the product. I lost count of the sites that came up saying that this was a fake site and scam, and why I needed to deleted all traces of it's files from my computer.

I was pissed at my short lapse in judgement. I called Amex, I called Paypal, neither could do anything to stop the payment. For me to get my money back, I needed to prove that they did not provide the service, or there was something wrong with the service they provided. Very well, but how can I prove that they are a scam, and that the virus software doesn't work, especially if I refuse to register the licence key that was sent to me? I thought about all the loop holes in my case, and could not believe how smart these fraudsters were. It took me forever just to unearth the original url that had prompted my to make the purchase coz I went and deleted everything!

After not letting Paypal off the line with my infuriation, they suggested that I lodge a complaint to the seller.

The seller had no idea what they were dealing with. An unemployed analyst who has all the time in the world to do her investigations and build a case against them. A a dang good case she built!

All the investigations resulted in one polite complaint email to the seller through Paypal. I listed all my efforts at contacting their disconnected number, my reasons for being concerned with the product, of how I was pressured into buying it, and all the facts that would have supported the case should I decided take it further. My disclaimer was an apology if my allegations are not correct... but I'm just a concerned consumer. Oh, and I wanted a refund.

Less than 2 hours later, the refund was approved by the seller without comment or question.

It's not about the money, it's the principle of the matter. I'm also pleased that my work skills are also life skills. My two cents: Do your homework, and always say please.

Beware of this fake scanner:

2 comments:

millimilli said...

So... how did you want to pay for your subscription to Readers' Digest? :D

I've made use of paypal buyer protection before too. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing_CommandDriven/general/PBPInfo-outside for something I bought on ebay but never received.

andrea said...

Readers Digest better not to mess with me now!