Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reality TV hits home

I'm not a TV junkie, especially when I used to only have 5 channels at my disposal. One thing G could not get over when he lived in Sydney, is the lack of channels, particularly sports channels. I'm still not a TV junkie, but now with hundreds of channels at my fingertips, it will still be difficult for me to go back to 5.

My fave channels are HGTV and Foodnetwork.

HGTV (Home & Garden) because of all the design shows there are that you can imagine - and if you didn't know, at one time I was contemplating studying architecture or interior design - but practicality (and the commitment factor) got the better of me. I did Commerce where I can change jobs and industries at whim. Tuesday nights are usually a night in for me - 'Design Tuesdays' on HGTV with a few of my fave design shows back to back! G gets a involuntary break from TSN Tuesday nights. And when I'm unemployed at home, my lunch break is always 1pm - Divine Design with Candace Olsen!

And Foodnetwork for obvious reasons - I live and dream about food, I'm more aware of this problem now that I live away from home. Some people lie awake at night thinking about life issues, I lie awake thinking what I should cook the next day.

Anyways, I digress. The whole point of this entry is that I am ECSTATIC that my close friend Jany is on a reality show called Design Star on HGTV! This is the girl I went to Montreal with recently, who quit corporate life in Finance, traveled the world by herself and pursued her passion in interior design. I admire her courage, and so proud of her achievements, and is absolutely certain that there are many more to come!

This woman was never trained, but taught herself interior design. She has this most amazing ability to fill a room fit for a star, within an very affordable budget. This is what I admire. As with fashion, I always believe that anyone can look fantastic if you always splurge on labels and follow fashion fads (if you don't, that's another issue), but to be able to look like you walked off a magazine cover and not have spend a ridiculous amount of dosh is an art in itself. This is Jany Lee!

The great news is (apart from the fact a dear friend is on TV!), is this year, one of the judges on the show is Candace Olson (re: 1pm unemployed lunch break). The bad news, Design Star is airing on US HGTV, not sure if we'll be getting it on HGTV Canada! =(

No comments: