Potatoes and Meatballs
It's true, Stockholm really is the most beautiful city in the world. As G puts it - "One in four girls are 'smokin' hot", and the guys are quite pretty too. I must agree with him... it was like we were surrounded by Ralph Lauren models all day!
Besides going to Sweden to people watch, we were there for Steph & Karls wedding which was held in tradition Swedish style - everything was so simple, yet very charming and thoughtful.
The wedding was in a small town and towards the end of our trip. We went from Stockholm, to Gothenberg and then the Boras... to tourists like us, these places where miniatures of the place before, so by the time we got to Boras, our expectations were that we spend half day around the town, and just chill in the hotel the rest until the wedding the next day. Not only was G surprised that Boras was a valid town (I mustn't have set very high expectations), he realized his childhood fave band was playing live the night we arrived! The sleepy town was crazy and buzzing with people, all coming in to see the Jamaican group Bony M - I bit before my time, but that didn't stop me partying in the square where they were playing live.
The rest of Sweden was nice, but I have to admit, the excitement and beauty of Stockholm was dampened by the weather (literally!). It rained every_single_day. Although we didn't do as much outdoors activities and take as many photos as planned, we still had a great time. Canada isn't very big on cafe culture, so we took advantage of the cosy cafes, and divine coffee that Sweden had to offer.
During sales time, Sweden is a shoppers heaven. Sales signs with 50-70% off were very common. Unfortunately I was traveling with the world's worse shopper - although we hunted around for nifty Scandinavian design stores, the temptation of clothes shopping was definitely a test on my will power. The one store that did catch G's eyes was one called Design Torget. We went into everyone single Design Torget we came across in both Stockholm and Gothenberg, 6 times on last count. We hardly even went into 6 clothes stores the whole time!
Speaking of clothes, Sweden appears to have a very strong street culture - with current trend being the bush-ranger neck scarf, long cardi and skinny jeans - for both men and women. Not only are the boys as pretty as the girls, dress sense for the two sexes seem pretty aligned also.
We're back home now, and I have two more weeks before Sydney! I'm making a list of things I want to eat. So get your stomachs prepared!
Btw, photos uploaded - see side link.
No comments:
Post a Comment