Monday, July 21, 2008

Losing my life, a second time

Less than two years ago, my handbag was stolen from under my feet. A guy who was sitting back-to-back with me at a busy cafe, reached back back and plucked my bag from where I left it - next to my feet, under the table. Nine people at my table, and no one noticed.

Contrary to belief, losing your wallet is not the biggest hassle. Replacing cards is easy - the banks are used to it. It's not being able to drink on a Friday night, because a Police Report reference isn't sufficient ID to get you in a bar. Losing an iPod wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't a gift, and losing a USB stick is unnerving when it is full of personal and work information. And house keys - biggest hassle ever. Changing all the locks on the house is an expensive exercise, and the whole family needs to adjust to using new keys. Add the fact that you're overseas to the equation, and replacing cards is not so simple after all.

So you'd think that I'd be guarding my handbag with my life.

My favorite handbag was left dangling on the arm of a chair in Chapters where I sought refuge from an unexpected change in weather. Yep, it was left swinging there as I strolled down the block, waited for a seat in a restaurant and was nearly finished my dinner before I realized.

Thank god for honest people. At least an hour later as I ran back to look for my bag, the dude who found it, stuck around to tell me that he had turned it into the front desk. I almost hugged him.

Lessoned learnt. A second time.

No comments: