Sunday, January 27, 2008

Here to stay

It's been a flurry of activity lately which has been a refreshing change.

Firstly, Millwood Road welcomed Miss Ada, fresh from London. She momentarily forgot her dislike for cold weather when she saw the snow we had, very much a contrast to my lack of enthusiasm. It was so excited to have her here that I even got out of bed in the a.m. not the usual p.m.!

When Teoh arrived a few days later, we took a road trip up to Mont Tremblant for some skiing and boarding action. This is where Ada was reminded of her dislike for cold weather, a blast of -38 degree weather is a good trigger.

I didn't mind the weather, but "displeasure" would be an understatement if asked to describe my sentiments on snow boarding. My bindings broke on the first run... so I walked (stormed) down three quarters of Mont Tremblant. Poor Gord took the brunt of my anger as I stomped down the mountain - anyone who attempted to help or speak to me was susceptible to a snow board being swung at them. My second run was slightly better, my bindings were intact, but my butt was bruised so much it was like a built in heating system. The many flat parts of the run tired me out so much from having to traverse across, that there was no third run.. an unspoken relief for Gord.

Having said that, Tremblant is just as gorgeous in winter than in summer, and my bad luck on the slopes thankfully did not ruin the whole trip.



In other news, Ada and Teoh must have been my good luck charms, the week they were in town, saw my work visa approved and a job offer made - all on the same day! So I'm a working woman now - no more sleep ins. It's a similar project to my last project in Sydney... so I'm looking forward to tackling another large scale business transformation.

For those planning to look for work... I cannot stress enough how great uploading your resume to job sites are... I uploaded mine to the Canadian www.workopolis.com and recruiters really do search them. I didn't even have to apply for the position, recruiters are much more proactive than 4 years ago!!

Here's some photos where I dragged the crew across the U.S. boarder to get my visa stamped in my passport. We literally drove through U.S. customs, drove down the highway, did a U-ey and came back through Canadian customs. My passengers got treated to a Wendy's lunch to celebrate!

No comments: