Wednesday, November 28, 2007

New York Madness

When I think New York City, I think sight-seeing, shows and shopping. Being my third visit to the Big Apple, sight-seeing was not high on my agenda. The writers' strike meant there were no shows. Which unfortunately (for my wallet), left me with only shopping to occupy my time.

So with the agenda set, I was keen to put the best effort that my bargain-shopping-career had seen yet. So I joined thousands of post-Thanksgiving shoppers at Woodbury Outlets for the Midnight Madness sale. Doors open at midnight, and eager shoppers queue up in sub-zero temperatures to get extra discount off already reduced outlet prices. We got there at 2am and shopped for 12 hours straight until 2pm the next day.

Ofcourse, such an operation required careful planning:
- We had Navigator Jany (thanks Jany!!!!), who traced our path on the map, and made sure that we visited all the shops we had circled
- Navigator Jany also doubled up as Queue-up Jany who lined up for the impossibly long check-out line while we shoppers raced around the store and back before Jany got to the front
- Singlet tops were key. Forget change rooms, we stripped our ten layers off down to our singlets and tried clothes on in the middle of the store, and
- When waiting for fellow shoppers, 5 minute power naps on lounges is the secret to shopping longevity.

Funnily enough, I actually felt fine, until 2pm when I started to dwindle. Now I understand the adrenalin experienced by athletes.

Contrary to the above, New York wasn't just about the shopping (so I try to explain). I managed to catch-up with friends, either visiting from London, or who have settled in NY. My girlfriends from TO were also in town to celebrate a 30th birthday. This meant a lot of eating and (a little) drinking. Food in NY is fantastic, and it helps to know locals, and not being a poor backpacker this time to enjoy all the amazing restaurants and bars the city has to offer. My only complaint is that there weren't enough cafes. In my opinion, greasy American diners should not call themselves cafes. Nor should any other establishment that can't make a decent coffee.

I also experienced my first Thanksgiving in North America. We glimpsed part of the Thanksgiving Parade where huge balloons and floats were paraded through the city, and Bec's roast turkey was a success at Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm back in TO now. The little colour that was left on the trees are now ash grey - it's started to snowing, although I've been told that dandruff does not count as snow. This is definitely a winter I am not looking forward to!

2 comments:

millimilli said...

Sale unfaithfulness! Show me your haul!

andrea said...

I'm sorry shopping buddy, I admit to being unfaithful! Come to the U.S. and give me another excuse to go to the outlets!

My most frivolous purchase was a Kate Spade handbag (but in bright red), a bargain Furla bag (considered the best buy for the day), a gorgeous Elie Tahari suit, and tops from Banana Republic and Max Studio.

This doesn't count the five pairs of shoes and two pairs of jeans I bought in Manhatten, but arguably I needed them all *grin*