Friday, February 20, 2009

A success story, not mine.

I have spent the last four years working on two huge projects that have or will spend hundreds of millions of dollars implementing a system will provide fantastic customer experience. Both projects boasted they will deliver state of the art CRM that will revolutionize the ordering process, reduce the need for customers to call and complain, blow customers away with the efficiency of how their calls and needs are handled, and eliminate the need to decipher bills.

One of these projects has apparently failed miserably - despite the the hard work, dedication, and the quality of team. The second of these projects, still in the works, will, I predict go much, much worse - based on the work, dedication, and the quality of team.

Although I personally did not attribute to the failure of these projects (with teams of hundreds), it's disheartening to see that such a common vision, is so difficult to achieve.

Attempting to complete a simple transaction with my Aussie telco confirmed my disappointment. First I couldn't find where to change my direct debit details on the web, when I found it and deleted the old info, it wouldn't let me add my new details. And I was trying to make a payment for crying out loud.

I was convinced it was not possible. That is until I saw a success story.

I have a soft spot for Amex... the only credit card vendor willing to give me a Canadian credit card! I've had an Amex since university, at the moment I carry three - two Aussie, and one Canadian.

They are the only providers of customer service that has me smiling when I hang up the phone. I was so impressed with their service that I jumped at the opportunity to provide feedback on a survey sent after my last interaction. No longer will I scoff at the vision of 'first call resolution', 'customers will only state their need once' and 'billing made easy'.

I'm not sure I want to implement another one of these projects, but if I do, it will be a success!

No comments: